Tuesday, December 14, 2010

1 Week of Cata Update - I hate Nightstones

I’m alive!
My week of vacation is over and I’m back to work, which means back to blogging. Here is a rundown of my first week of cata.

Day 1 to 3– Farming like crazy
Once the release hit I hopped on my 80 priest with 310% speed and headed over to Mount Hyjal to farm some Obsidium Ore. The first 45 minutes were great and I was able to get 2 stacks and my mining up to 470. However the horde of characters quickly swept in and soon it was very hard to find any nodes.

Therefore I decided to take a chance and move on to Twilight Highlands. TH is the last zone most people go to when leveling, so I figured it would be the least populated.
I was correct. For the first two days I had TH all to myself (the occasional farm would drop in) and the elementium was flowing! I am pretty sure the zone was bugged because every 5 feet there would be an elementium vein or pyrite vein. After 20 hours of farm I had around 3000 elementium ore, 600 pyrite and a bunch of gems.
The first 1000 ore I sold for 600g a stack (30,000) and the rest for around 450g (once the competition started getting in(45,000) netting a total of 75,000 within the first 2 days.
I took some of the ore and grinded up my Jewel crafting on my primary toon so that I could start the daily asap (need 475 jewel crafting).  Then it was back to farming. I farmed another 1000 ore for my jewel crafting profession.

Day 4 – Max JC and Alchemy!
Day 4 hit and more people were invading TH and the amount of ore available dipped dramatically, also prices were going around 225g a stack (still nice, but not the 400-600 I was getting at first). I decided it was time to level my Mage and some professions. As I started leveling, I would periodically review the AH online, and buy up any Cata herbs that were too low. I spent about 1000g total and was able to max out my alchemy and then sell what I made for about 2200g. Once I was 525 I was able to craft Shadowspirit Diamonds and Truegold.
My first transmute of true gold proc’d 5. Yes that’s right 5. I believe I was the first to post them on the AH and I sold each one for 5,000g each. 
Now that I could craft meta’s I used prospected the 1000 ore and leveled JC so I could learn a Meta Cut. Being a Draenei helped a lot with this.
Once I was able I learned and cut the Asture Shadowspirit Diamond, and sold 6 for 1,500g each.

I decided that the rest of the time I would concentrate on leveling and getting my mage heroic ready. I spent 6 k leveling my tailoring and started making Dreamcloth.

END of Cata Gold Total
+75,000 (day 1-3 mining)
-1000 (525 Alchemy)
+25,000 (Truegold Proc)
+2,200 (Misc. Alchmey Creations)
+9,000 (Meta Cuts)
-6,000 (525 tailor)
104,200g in week 1 of cata

And I still have about 15 of each rare gem (pending cuts) and 20-25 of each green gem with the exception of nightstones.
Nightstones are evil. They are used for everything and are hard to come by. EVIL I TELL YOU!
In addition to the gold, I was able to max 3 professions with a 4th on the way (JC could be maxed but I am waiting for a second Meta Cut) with lots of raw materials waiting to be turned into something fun. My Mage is level 85 and already heroic ready. Now the challenge will be balancing my gold making business with also being a full time raider on the one of the top guilds on my server.

No comments:

Post a Comment